WTN: What should Favorita be like?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: What should Favorita be like?

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Pelissero Langhe Favorita "Le Nature" 2006 12,5%

This is a rare wine: it is apparently only sold in a few restaurants in Piemonte and Finland. Lightish gold. It smells and tastes nutty and slightly oaky even though I thought it wasn't supposed to see barrique (or is Giorgio Pelissero so enamored with oak that even an early drinking wine sees some?). Am I hallucinating? There is also a slight hint of banana like I get with those horrid Beaujolais that use that particular strain of Lalvin yeast (72 was it?). It also tastes a bit lifeless and flat. It tastes spoofulated. I didn't enjoy it, so bad QPR at c.10€.

I haven't knowingly tasted Favorita before, but I hope this isn't how it is supposed to be.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: What should Favorita be like?

Postby David Creighton » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:46 pm

well, its almost two years past its prime and probably hasn't been well treated to boot. it should be fresh, light, crisp and delicious. probably worth drinking only on the spot - preferably from the tank.
david creighton
David Creighton
Wine guru

Re: WTN: What should Favorita be like?

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:29 pm

David Creighton wrote:well, its almost two years past its prime and probably hasn't been well treated to boot. it should be fresh, light, crisp and delicious.

I emailed the imported and he replied: 10% of the wine does see barrique! :shock: It has been treated well as the importer has refrigerated storage. So it is more likely that it is both spoofulated and a bit older than ideal (though I didn't sense over-agedness when trying it, just something not at all to my taste).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Return to Wine Focus