WTN: Two from Collovray & Terrier (VdP d'Oc)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two from Collovray & Terrier (VdP d'Oc)

Postby Otto » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Funky Wine Imports, a fairly new importer in Finland, has a pretty impressive line-up. They go for more natural, unspoofulated wines than most importers - there really are only one or two wines in their whole portfolio that I would not like to buy! Just yesterday, they introduced two wines aimed at the bargain end of the fine wine spectrum. I really liked the red, but the white turned out pretty decent as well. The 9,95€ is that of the special order selection in Alko, which because of Alko's greed is always too highly priced, so these must be dirt cheap elsewhere:

• Collovray & Terrier La Closerie des Lys Les Fruitières Blanc 2008 - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Vin de Pays d'Oc (4/7/2009)
    9,95€; 13% abv; a third each of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Rolle (Vermentino); under plastic "cork". Some minerality, but mostly a very perfumed and floral scent - the cloying aspects of which remind me of Viognier. Medium bodied, good acidity, crisp and refreshing despite showing sunny fruit. Initially, I might have been to damning of the perfumed character, as it calms down and greener, more refreshing scents appear - it become a more balanced wine with a few hours of air. Not as interesting nor with such personality as the red, but a nice wine anyway.
  • Collovray & Terrier La Closerie des Lys Les Fruitières Rouge 2008 - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Vin de Pays d'Oc (4/7/2009)
    9,95€; 13% abv; 50% Merlot, 30% Syrah, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon; under plastic "cork". At last a wine that fulfills two important criteria in my house: 1) cheap enough that I can use, without sorrow, huge amounts of it in cooking, 2) yet at the same time good enough that I really enjoy drinking a glass or three of it! It smells like a good Beaujolais with its bright red fruit except that it also smells meaty and bloody. Medium bodied, refreshing tannins, attractively citrussy acidity - refreshing yet fruity. Not very long, but few wines at this price are. It doesn't really show the characteristics of the grapes, but it does have plenty of character for such a cheap wine. No, this is not a great wine, but it is a very pleasant one. Buy again? Definitely.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Two from Collovray & Terrier (VdP d'Oc)

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 pm

New producer to me, but I love the name of the importer.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

http://www.collovrayterrier.com/17.php

Macon-based but have spread their wings south!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Otto » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

I've never tried their Burgundies, sadly. They apparently also make a Pinot in a cool area in the VdP d'Oc which is supposedly very good.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Return to Wine Focus