WTN: Masi Passo Doble 2005 - follow your palate?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Masi Passo Doble 2005 - follow your palate?

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:48 pm

The subtitle "Follow your palate" is one of the great mantras of wine drinking. If something really impresses you, then go back for more, as bargains are only bargains if you yourself enjoy the wine. Well, did the mantra hold here?

2005 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble[i] - Argentina, Mendoza (4/5/2009) ~ £10
Cork sealed, served at cool room temperature.

Overt caramel/butterscotch/vanilla on the nose obscures the dark berry (but also raisin) fruit. Swirling releases a little more fruit from it's oak-induced straightjacket.

The palate shows sweet but quite simple fruit, soft tannin and acidity just sufficient and nothing really to raise the interest.

After being disappointed with the 2004, also disappointed with this. It's not necessarily a bad wine, but compared to the early vintages, quality has dropped off significantly. There are better wines than this at the price.[/i]

So in this instance the mantra of following this wine because we liked the early vintages (~ 1999 and 2000 from recollection) falls flat. As well as vintage variation, not all wines retain a consistent style/quality and having seen two consecutive vintages fall significantly short of expectations, it's back to 'try before you buy' for us and this wine.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN: Masi Passo Doble 2005 - follow your palate?

Postby ChaimShraga » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:55 pm

It's hard to contest a post title "follow your palate" but this specific wine highlights how far my palate has drifted since the first time I tasted this wine, whuch was 6 years ago with the 1999 vintage. The last time I tried it, which was the 2004 version, it had sweetened itself out of the contention of my palate.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:19 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:but this specific wine highlights how far my palate has drifted since the first time I tasted this wine, which was 6 years ago with the 1999 vintage.

Which is of course another option, though I've not seen my palate drift greatly in the last 5-6 years. Although my money is on the wine style itself changing since 1999, it is feasible that we've both outgrown it.

I also do miss the old Masi handwritten (sic) label that adorned the initial vintages :(

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Tim York » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Is this the same firm as the Veronese Masi? They were a no-show at last year's Cahors event when they were billed to show a Corbec (Corvina/Malbec); I wasn't sure whether it was from Italy or Argentina and never found out.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Tim York wrote:Is this the same firm as the Veronese Masi? They were a no-show at last year's Cahors event when they were billed to show a Corbec (Corvina/Malbec); I wasn't sure whether it was from Italy or Argentina and never found out.

Tim
The very same producer, with the Corbec being the (big) sister wine to the Passo Doble, both from Tupungato in Argentina. It's a shame about the Corbec, as that seems to have remained a very impressive wine. Not cheap (~ £18 here), but well worth trying if you ever get the chance (my last note, a very brief one on the 2003 vintage, saying it was unready).
regards
Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Wine Focus