WTN: Two central Italian whites

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two central Italian whites

Postby Keith M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:10 pm

2007 Tenuta di Pietra Porzia Frascati Regillo [blend of Malvasia di Candia, Malvasia del Lazio, Bambino and Greco] (Frascati Superiore DOC, Latium, Lazio, central Italy) synthetic stopper, 13% - imported to USA by Vias Imports, LTD, New York, New York – appears darker gold, smell slight paint, faded hay, dried paint, superdry honey, nothing sweet about this nose at all, taste dry and prickly texture, dry rich fruit, prickly, delicious spices, nice and incredibly easy to drink, super dry, übercool, lovely. The bottle went quickly. Good deal for less than $13.

2008 Palazzone Umbria Dubini Bianco [blend of 50 percent Procanico and 30 percent blend of Drupeggio, Malvasia, and Grechetto, 20 percent a mystery] (Umbria IGT, central Italy) screwcap closure, imported to USA by Marc de Grazia selection, Estate Wines, LTD, San Rafael, California – appears metallic gold, smell bit of herbs and fields of grass, chippy, beautiful freshness on nose, fields of ferns, mouthfeel zippy, still a bit of spritz there, effervescent even on day two, dry reserved fruit combined with herbal zip, tons of zip, wow, zip, delicious, did I mention the zip, fantastic herbal Italian white, went well while cooking and paired better than one might think with tom kati fak thong kap tao hoo leh maengluk (vegetarian-style pumpkin [well, kabocha squash, actually]-coconut soup. As the wine opens, there is still a bit of sugar hanging around in there, though the herbs and spices are much more noticeable. Tasty and a lovely spring/summer wine. For $10, an outstanding value—I enjoyed every bit.
Keith M
Beer Explorer

Re: WTN: Two central Italian whites

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Some of the best white deals are from Italia! Sicily has really turned a corner in my opinion, look for the Scurati.
Keith, the soup sounds like fun?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: Two central Italian whites

Postby Keith M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Some of the best white deals are from Italia! Sicily has really turned a corner in my opinion, look for the Scurati.
Indeed, some stunning deals I've had in white wine at low prices have come from Italy, including a delicious white from Puglia. I'm not that familiar with Sicilian ones, but always willing to give it a shot!

The soup was sufficiently delicious and easy to make that I just prepared another batch. A little kabocha goes a long way.
Keith M
Beer Explorer

Return to Wine Focus