WTN: Ch. Haut-Monplaisir 2006 (Cahors)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Ch. Haut-Monplaisir 2006 (Cahors)

Postby Otto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Château Haut-Monplaisir Cahors 2006

c.11€. A nice wine for the price, but I was a bit dismayed to see some oak on this. I recently had the '05 and '04 and the oak had largely integrated in them, so I guess this '06 should still rest for a year or two - though I had thought such cheap wines would be ready on release. Under the oak, there was a meaty, dark fruit flavour that was pure Cahors; more a bright, red fruit palate than what the scent promised. Good structure, refreshing enough. Nice!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Ch. Haut-Monplaisir 2006 (Cahors)

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:40 pm

I regularly travel to Figeac, France (30 minutes or so from Cahors) & I am stunned at the lovely bottles of Cahors that can be had for €5-10.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Otto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Considering the Finnish taxes and the margins that our monopoly gets, this bottle should be closer to the 5€ mark over there.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Tim York » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:52 pm

I agree that the range at Haut-Montplaisir is excellent and superb value. At the tasting last April on the Valentré bridge, owner Daniel Founié mistakenly let me catch a glimpse of his Horeca (trade wholesale) tariff and I recall this cuvée being offered at about €3,50 - €4. Alko are doing very nicely, especially as they can probably claim a bigger discount given their huge buying power. :!:
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Aaagh, gonna have to open up a Cahors to keep up with you folks!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 am

Tim York wrote:I agree that the range at Haut-Montplaisir is excellent and superb value. At the tasting last April on the Valentré bridge, owner Daniel Founié mistakenly let me catch a glimpse of his Horeca (trade wholesale) tariff and I recall this cuvée being offered at about €3,50 - €4. Alko are doing very nicely, especially as they can probably claim a bigger discount given their huge buying power. :!:

If we can get a wine at an ex-cellar price of 3€ we can get it to alko for about 11€ or the special order selection for about 14€. Alko's mark ups really suck, don't they?
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 am

Otto, you are not alone out there! Various mark-ups here just as bad.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus