WTN: Hewitson Miss Harry GSM 2006 (Barossa, Australia)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Hewitson Miss Harry GSM 2006 (Barossa, Australia)

Postby Otto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Hewitson Miss Harry Dry Grown & Ancient 2006 GRENACHE (55 %), SHIRAZ (33 %), MOURVÈDRE (12 %)

Big, burly, broad - classic Barossa style. For me these aren't positive aspects of a wine, but what I thought was a nice positive aspect was that the oak wasn't noticeable (French Barrique, but all is old oak in this cuvée, says the importer) and it wasn't at all as over the top as most Barossas we see here. Also positive for me was the slight, savoury/vegetative quality to the scent which balanced the sweet, mulberry jam scents. Amazingly, the 14,5% abv was well hidden. It is sweet and ripe, but still has some proper structure to it so it isn't a gobby mess despite being fruit forward.

It costs 13,88€ and I imagine that for those who like a bolder style of wine, this offers a great deal for the price.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Hewitson Miss Harry GSM 2006 (Barossa, Australia)

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 pm

I certainly did not expect to see you posting on an Aussie GSM blend. Glad it was not totally over the top.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I certainly did not expect to see you posting on an Aussie GSM blend. Glad it was not totally over the top.

Well, it was a kind of formal occasion with lots of people standing around making silly comments (small talk I believe it's called) and in that sort of occasion I can drink a glass or two of an Aussie GSM as long as isn't too OTT. It isn't always possible to get thin, green, weedy wines so on occasion I will have a glass of something big. And besides, this didn't seem overtly spoofulated, just naturally big.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Mark Kogos » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm

otto

I thought you were going to list the Brokenwood Graveyard 2000 in this category. On a quality to price ratio it does kind of work. :D

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
Mark Kogos
Ultra geek

Return to Wine Focus