WTN: Major value-for-money Pedro Ximénez

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Major value-for-money Pedro Ximénez

Postby Salil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm starting to like PX more and more for insanely good value in dessert wine. Given the theme for this month's focus, figured I'd post a note on a bottle that has been sitting in my fridge for over a month and slowly getting drained on random evenings.

Bought a half bottle of the 2004 Alvear Montilla-Moriles Pedro Ximénez de Añada for $16 some time ago and cracked this open in late February. The first glass I had of it wasn't particularly pleasant with alcohol dominating the nose and palate.

Each time I've gone back to the wine it's seemed to get better and better with the alcohol integrating better and feeling less out of place. Have a glass in front of me right now (perfect for a fairly chilly, rainy evening) and it's very enjoyable. A touch of alcoholic vapour on the nose, but the dominating aromas are of figs, raisins, black tea and some faint herbal notes. Very rich and sweet with dried white fruits, molasses and roasted cashewnut flavours on the palate, finishing long (without the same alcoholic heat at the back end that was so prevalent right after the bottle was opened). Surprisingly this seems even better at slightly warmer temperatures than I'd normally serve a wine at, with the fruit and molasses flavours rich and intense enough to cover the alcohol.

Very nice wine, and in terms of value I find this outstanding - not expensive at all, and a half bottle goes a really long way (I normally more than a glass in an evening if I ever reach for this sort of wine, but these just seem to last ages and ages sitting in the fridge).
Salil
Franc de Pied

Re: WTN: Major value-for-money Pedro Ximénez

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Salil, how long can one cellar these wines? Good PX hard to find up here.
Did have a `79 with Nicos in London last week but not sure of the wines history!?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby ChaimShraga » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 pm

You can find good value PX all over the place in Spain. I feel that it's very easy to make good value PX, as even the cheap stuff seems to have a very obvious appeal, if you appreciate the style that is. And since every house needs to have a supply of it for blending into their sweet wines, everyone has a source.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Rahsaan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm

I agree, ridiculous QPR in PX and always so much fun whenever I drink it. Doesn't show the finesse or breed of single-vineyard dessert wine from riesling or chenin blanc. But hey, what does.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Return to Wine Focus