WTN: A Day Late but A Good Value

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: A Day Late but A Good Value

Postby Carl Eppig » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm

2006 DuLong Saint Savin, Bordeaux, Sauvignon Blanc 80%/Semillon 20% ($11.99 U.S. NH Liq Store). Alcohol level: 12%. It is a very nice wine for the price.

It gives a good blast of fresh fruit including peaches and citrus on the nose and upfront. It is very well rounded in the middle with lotsa fruit, some perfume; and it gave a citrus flavored finish.

We matched it with Chicken Breast Saltimbocca, steamed asparagus with Hollandaise, and roasted carrots and parsnips. It was almost a perfect pair up. A fancy dinner for a Wednesday night.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Re: WTN: A Day Late but A Good Value

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Carl
Nice to bridge both focus topics!

I recall one of Tom's comments was that despite questionable, at times very questionable value in top dry white bordeaux, his experiences at lower levels (and cheaper blends from elsewhere?) were positive. Your note seems to support this. Yes there are some humdrum SSBs, but I can't recall tasting an out and out bad one.

FWIW I do enjoy the blend of grapes, particularly where there is significant Semillon influence it would seem. As you picked out, a very handy blend for plenty of chicken dishes and ditto for fish. Having wines that work well with food is worth something to me - and does add to the 'value'. Sum of the parts and all that.

anyway - ta for the note!

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Jenise » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:2006 DuLong Saint Savin, Bordeaux, Sauvignon Blanc 80%/Semillon 20% ($11.99 U.S. NH Liq Store). Alcohol level: 12%. It is a very nice wine for the price.

It gives a good blast of fresh fruit including peaches and citrus on the nose and upfront. It is very well rounded in the middle with lotsa fruit, some perfume; and it gave a citrus flavored finish.

We matched it with Chicken Breast Saltimbocca, steamed asparagus with Hollandaise, and roasted carrots and parsnips. It was almost a perfect pair up. A fancy dinner for a Wednesday night.

Sounds very nice indeed. Not familiar with the name though, was this an Entre-Deux-Mer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am

Jenise wrote:was this an Entre-Deux-Mer?

Can't tell from the bottle. It just carries a Bordeaux Appellation. The Dulong operation is in a place called Landiras.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Return to Wine Focus