WTN: A Decanter medal winning dry white Graves

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: A Decanter medal winning dry white Graves

Postby Tim York » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 am

Château Roquetaillade-la-Grange – Graves- 2007 – Alc. 12% - (€8,90) is made from Sémillon 60%, Muscadelle 20% and Sauvignon 20% and is barrique aged (new content not specified).

I was curious to try this wine because of its dominance by Sémillon and because the bottle bore a sticker boasting a Decanter silver medal. In the event most of the identifiable fruit notes were those I associate with Sauvignon and, pleasant though the wine was, I could not see the reason for a Decanter award.

C: Pale yellow.
N: Very attractive with notes of soft white fruit, minerals and traces of cream and honey.
P: Did not live up to the nose but was pleasantly refreshing with light/medium body, fresh acidity, notes of gooseberry and grapefruit with the latter contributing a stimulating bitterness on the finish. There was a slight hollowness in mid-palate which seemed to fill in slightly on the last glass after the fish was finished; length was medium. This was quite enjoyable but I won’t be rushing out to buy more even at this modest price; 15/20+.

Come on you guys out there! Let’s have a few more TNs before the month ends.
Last edited by Tim York on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: WTN: A Decanter medal winning white Graves

Postby Ian Sutton » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Tim
Yes those Decanter awards are a bit meaningless. FWIW I tend to group the wines thus:
Highly recommended = likely to be pretty average
Bronze = likely to be pretty average
Silver = likely to be pretty average
Gold = likely to be pretty average
Trophy = likely to be pretty average
:wink:

regards

IAn
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Wine Focus