WTN: Westbend Vineyards Viognier (Lewisville, NC)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Westbend Vineyards Viognier (Lewisville, NC)

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 pm

Stuck in the Charlotte Airport waiting for my flight home, I stopped into the Yadkin Valley Tasting Room near Concourse E. More airports should have tasting bars, btw. Tastes are 4 for $4. Can't beat that price, so out of the 15-20 to choose from I went with a syrah, a cab sauvignon, a riesling, and (ONLY because it's the theme this month) a viognier. I'm firmly in the "I don't get it" camp with viognier, in general. They always seem heavy to me. The 2005 Westbend Vineyards Viognier (Lewisville, NC) is really not all that different ($15/bottle). Good white fruit with floral tones, it's oily, it's nutty, there is some obvious wood, lots of heft, and even though it's only 12%abv, it's fairly hot. Oh, and it has sort of an acrid finish. Well, it was only $1 for a pour, so I can't complain. :wink:
The other wines weren't all that bad at all, particularly the 2003 Stony Knoll Vineyards Syrah (Dobson, NC) which picked up all sorts of tobacco terrior notes. I'll post some full notes over on the main board.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Westbend Vineyards Viognier (Lewisville, NC)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:50 pm

When I was a flight attendant years ago, over in Europe, I always remember the passengers who had had a few before boarding!!! Way to go Bill.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:40 pm

I live near several of the NC wineries, and have been to a tasting at Westbend. I did try their viognier, and while it was all right, I wasn't extremely impressed. However, not far away at Flint Hill Vineyards, they have a wonderful viognier. I was quite impressed with it, especially considering they just opened last fall, and the vines are still young.

This is what they say about it: "Picked at the height of ripeness. Our 2004 Viognier has the perfect mix of fruit and floral notes. The wine sets itself apart with juicy peach and apricot flavors. Aged only 30 days on oak. Try this wine chilled with your favorite light dish or on your back deck at evening sunset."
Linda R. (NC)
Wine guru

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi Linda, Thanks for the tip on Flint Hill. The wineries that were available at the Charlotte-Douglas airport via the Yadkin Valley Growers Association are Hanover Park, Ragapple Lassie, RayLen, Round Peak, Shelton, Stony Knoll, Westbend, and last but not least, Surry Community College.

Bob, my few were 1oz pours! :D
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I live near several of the NC wineries, and have been to a tasting at Westbend. I did try their viognier, and while it was all right, I wasn't extremely impressed. However, not far away at Flint Hill Vineyards, they have a wonderful viognier. I was quite impressed with it, especially considering they just opened last fall, and the vines are still young.

This is what they say about it: "Picked at the height of ripeness. Our 2004 Viognier has the perfect mix of fruit and floral notes. The wine sets itself apart with juicy peach and apricot flavors. Aged only 30 days on oak. Try this wine chilled with your favorite light dish or on your back deck at evening sunset."

Thanks Linda for the heads up, for those in your area. Viognier with some ripeness is not a bad thing as long as there is good fruit balance as well as some acidity that does not overpower.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus