WTN: `03 Fairview Viognier--S Africa (Paarl Mtn).

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `03 Fairview Viognier--S Africa (Paarl Mtn).

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:20 am

The winery of Goat du Roam fame, this wine is a pleasant surprise as not sure what to expect from Mr Beck. Believe he was the first to plant this varietal in the country. A hefty 14.5% alc and opened 45 mins.

Colour. Pale to medium lemon, nice crisp look and inviting.

Nose. This is a real plus, very fragrant and fresh. Gushing aromas of peach and dried apricot. Minerally from the granite based soils, hint of nutmeg. Fellow taster thought "some kiwi here, is this a chardonnay?" She also liked the floral perfumed elements.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel was honeysuckle, some oak influences. Nice freshness with peach and nuts, some stonefruit too. Terrific acidity and balance, loads of in-your-face fruits "Hint of pink grapefruit as it warms with apple, melon, and pear" thought my friend. This finish really sings and the ripeness does not deter. I have not tasted a viognier like this for a long time.

Cost was $19.00 Cdn
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `03 Fairview Viognier--S Africa (Paarl Mtn).

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:50 pm

The `04 has arrived on the shelves up here. The previous vintage, the `03 I posted on, is one of my WOTY.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus