WTN: Miner Family Viognier 2004.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Miner Family Viognier 2004.

Postby Bob Ross » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:29 pm

Miner Family Viognier 2004 Simpson Vineyard, California. 14.3% alcohol. $22.50 at Endless Vines in Franklin Lakes. According to Miner, sourced from John Simpson’s low-yielding vineyards in Madera.

Lovely forward orange blossoms, persimmons and peaches, sharp but rounded acidity, medium mouth feel, long finish, mineral notes. Very pleasant wine. 4*.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Miner Family Viognier 2004.

Postby Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:41 pm

Great report! Now go open another with tomato bisque sprinkled with gorgonzola cheese. A to-die for combination.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Ross » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:28 pm

That works for me. Let's see what the boss thinks. :-)
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:19 pm

Seriously, never would have thought of it. There's nothing about either that mentally suggests that they should be paired up. But that's what I was serving as a starter course one night when one of several dinner guests, Jim Dietz, brought a Miner Viognier, and that's where it fit best in the line-up of wines we were serving. The pairing was so unexpectedly perfect it had all of us bug-eyed in wonder.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Ross » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Well, Janet says I should try the combo -- in a couple of weeks when she's back in gear.

Sounds very interesting -- I'll post a recipe/tasting note report. Thanks for the unusual idea.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:57 am

I think you'll enjoy it. Like I said, not an intuitive match, but in fact for me it's in that rare top 2% of meant-for-each-other kind of wine/food matches--and everyone at the table agreed.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Dietz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:39 am

I have an emotional attachment to the Miner Viognier.. I still think it is a pretty good bottle of wine every year, though some years are better than others, as they should be. The '05 is pretty tasty.

Another one I like comes from Cedarville.

And, Jenise, I do remember that food/wine match. Another I remember was a Texier Cotes du Rhone with one of your salads. The tastes are still in my mind and mouth.
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:21 am

Cedarville's viognier's are interesting. Bold, and stylistic an opposite of the Miner, which is admirably reticent.

Hey, I now own Arcadian. Bought 01 Pisoni, Lafond, Gary's and the plain Santa Maia.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Dietz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:37 pm

The SMV is ready to drink (that's not an '01 too, is it?? not '03), and the Garys' is, to my taste, excellent.. I bought quite a few of those. The Pisoni could probably sit a while...The Lafond, I don't know...

Let me know how you like them!!
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus