Not really a TN: Alfred Perret Condrieu "Chery"

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Not really a TN: Alfred Perret Condrieu "Chery"

Postby Patchen (Chicago) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 pm

A few weeks back Andrea and I had what was, a little to our surprise, our first Condrieu, off a restaurant wine list. I wasn't taking notes at the time, and in fact I can't recall the vintage (although I know it was one of 2000, 2001, or 2002); but I was struck by the degree of focus the wine had: by (what I think of as) Viognier standards it was austere, with a really nice flowery nose that become sleeker and sharper in the mouth. Honestly, I'd never really put the effort into researching the various producers of Condrieu, mainly because I don't see many of them on the shelves, and when I've tried to track one down (usually in response to an especially strongly worded review from Yaniger) I've always gotten the sense-never in so many words, mind you-that I'd need to visit the Rhône with substantial quantities of cash and all of my first-born children sewn into my clothing if I wanted any of <i>that</i>. All of this is a roundabout way of saying that the Perret Chery is really good and might be to the taste of other blowsophobes; and of asking (of those who know the style): what else should we look for?

cheers

Patchen
Patchen (Chicago)
Wine geek

Re: Not really a TN: Alfred Perret Condrieu "Chery"

Postby Jenise » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:30 pm

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that the Perret Chery is really good and might be to the taste of other blowsophobes; and of asking (of those who know the style): what else should we look for?

Good question. Texier might be one, if by "what else" you are asking for producer suggestions. (See Jack Everitt's note above.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Patchen (Chicago) » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:48 am

Oh, good idea! NBI, here I come...
cheers,

Patchen
Patchen (Chicago)
Wine geek

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:15 pm

I've liked Rostaing "La Bonnette." It has the complexity that marks it as special.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Return to Wine Focus