Zolo Malbec...Keep your eyes open for this one!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Zolo Malbec...Keep your eyes open for this one!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 pm

WTN: `04 Malbec Zolo Reserve, Fincas Patagonicas.

This is one of the wineries opening up in the Patagonia area of Argentina. Some Malbec Hounds may be familiar with their Tapiz label which is , I believe, entry-level.
The `04 reserve I tasted downtown this morning and I was quite impressed after that questionable bottle of Huarpe I posted on earlier today!! Great depth of black fruits, namely blackberry and currant, good tannins and nice balance. To me, this Zolo is what Malbec is all about.
Price n/a.
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: Zolo Malbec...Keep your eyes open for this one!

Postby Bruce Hayes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Here in Ontario the LCBO recently released the Zolo Cabernet and it was pretty good.
Bruce Hayes
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:36 pm

http://www.fincaspatagonicas.com/aboutus/index.html

Bruce, the Cab was on the tasting bar too but I passed. Any idea of the price?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bruce Hayes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:41 pm

The Cab sold for $16.85 Bob. I went back and checked my notes and while the wine was quite nice, I did comment on a persisent greeness that was a bit off-putting.
Bruce Hayes
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Bruce, I will pop by later and see if the cab is still there!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Hower » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:33 am

I like Zolo's wines. I had an '04 Cab at a restaurant this weekend that was good, and their 2004 regular Malbec was a real crowd pleaser. I gave away a number of those to friends which were well received. There are a lot of choices in that $15 or so price range and I think Zolo is consistently a cut above much of the competition. I'm looking forward to tasting the Reserve. How much was it?
Bob Hower
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Bob, I believe it is around $23 Cdn. Not sure if the store in question is going to bring it in?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:26 am

Bob Hower wrote:I like Zolo's wines. I had an '04 Cab at a restaurant this weekend that was good, and their 2004 regular Malbec was a real crowd pleaser. I gave away a number of those to friends which were well received. There are a lot of choices in that $15 or so price range and I think Zolo is consistently a cut above much of the competition. I'm looking forward to tasting the Reserve. How much was it?

Hi Bob...just tasted the `05 Zolo Reserve Malbec tonite. Not that impressed. Noted a veggie hot nose, short finish with some bizarre vegetal tones. Some noted bacon fat on the nose, I dunno.

Looks like the `04 was a much better wine eh.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Hower » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 am

Timely that you should revive this thread Bob, in that I just picked up a bottle of 2007 Zolo Malbec to try. At $14 US, very much in the spirit of this month's theme. I'll make it a point to open it in the next few days and report back.
Bob Hower
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 am

Great Bob, I await with typical malbec-hound interest! I am going to post my thoughts on the tasting asap so better avoid till you have written up your notes!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Hower » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Here are my notes on the 2007 Zolo Malbec. $14 USD from Whole Foods. 13.8% ABV (does such precision imply accuracy?) A plastic cork assures that there will be no long term aging of this wine, a shame in my opinion. I do hope the era of plastic corks ends soon. A striking and very deep dark inky crimson color. On the nose a bit of alcohol, a touch of vanilla, barely perceptible and not objectionable greenness, deep rich red fruits. On the palate... New world? You betcha. Oak. Yessir. But somehow it works so nicely you may as well throw away your reservations and give in to this one. A an easy drinking crowd pleaser to be sure. Medium body, rich red fruits, vanilla, lively tannins on the finish. I'd buy more of this, and at this price point it's a decent if not spectacular value. A cut above the competition for the money. Sure wish they'd put a screwcap or a composite cork on it.
Bob Hower
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 am

That is a good note Bob. I am sure one of the bottles served at the malbec tasting last week was off. My notes were nothing like yours eh.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Hower » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:58 am

I am sure one of the bottles served at the malbec tasting last week was off. My notes were nothing like yours eh.

Possibly Bob, but I noticed yours was a "reserve" which mine was not. In fact I have never seen a Zolo Reserve here. It seems as if "reserve" often means too much oak and other manipulations. Could this be the case with the wine you tasted? In any case I'd be curious to get your take on the bottle I drank. Can you get it where you live?
Bob Hower
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Good spotting there Bob. I will have to check the stores website/product list asap. Thanks for all the interest!

edit: Just the `05 reserve. I just checked!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus