Shiraz: An Introduction and Overview from an Australian Perspective

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: Shiraz: An Introduction and Overview from an Australian Perspective

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:43 am

http://www.wineaustralia.com/Australia/ ... ?tabid=302

Just found this site, lots of info if one clicks onto "wine regions".
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: Shiraz: An Introduction and Overview from an Australian Perspective

Postby Jackson Brooke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 pm

The notes I have put together over time talk of soft wines, ripe, velvety, fine tannins etc. Any comment appreciated?

Not a problem Bob, pleasure to help out if I can (I actually appreciate that it keeps me revising and learning myself - so thank you). As for your notes, they sound pretty accurate to me. The region certainly has the heat in summer to make very ripe wines, but I think it's the cooler nights that allow the tannins and acids to make it a balanced wine. I would ask at what age most of these drinks were? as the the tannins would certainly soften if the wines had a few years on them as well.

One last note on this is that winemaking plays a large part (preaching to the knowledgeable here) and in a region such as the Pyrenees winemaker's will bounce ideas and practices off each other and even help each other out regularly. I wouldn't be surprised if all your wines from this area had a large influence from one or two important winemaker's from the region.
Jackson Brooke
Wine geek

Re: Shiraz: An Introduction and Overview from an Australian

Postby Otto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Jackson, thanks so much for the terroiry stuff! Much appreciated.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: Shiraz: An Introduction and Overview from an Australian

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 pm

I have an `01 Shiraz from Howard Park Scotsdale and noted Great Southern on the label. I found this............!

Great Southern Wine Region

The sheer size of the Great Southern wine region, with its five sub regions of Denmark, Frankland River, Mount Barker, Porongurup and Albany, is its greatest strength. The influences of the varying soil types and weather conditions across the region produce distinct sub-regional characteristics in many of the classic grape varieties, allowing the Great Southern to be become a region for all tastes.

Over the last few years improvements in vineyard management and winemaking techniques combined with the aging of the vines has led to major improvements in the finished product. Shiraz and Riesling in particular have been standout varieties, and these are well worth watching out for. Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon are also coming in for increasing critical acclaim.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Previous

Return to Wine Focus