Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tomato Pie

no avatar
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

Tomato Pie

by Jennie Mulhall » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 pm

I was absolutely blown away by the tomato pie I had from the Bardstown Rd. farmer's market Sat. morning--so yummy.
My mother & I were trying to pick it apart to figure it out, but as we were eating it while walking around we did not get too far.
Does anyone who has been lucky enough to try it have any ideas?
It's not the pizza-type pie discussed in a previous post, but a double crust savory affair--not creamy at all--kind of like a "regular fruit" pie, but with tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Tomato Pie

by Sonja W » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:16 pm

The crust is so thick and flaky, I wondered if they used a rough puff pastry dough to make it.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:41 am

Could it be a tomato calzone.sounds like it.
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:34 pm

I know Paula Deen does this dish, you could check for it on the FoodNetwork site.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Red tomato pie

by Gayle DeM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Like you, Jennie, I am absolutely in awe of the tomato pie from the Bardstown Rd. Farmer’s Market. I, too, have been trying to pick it apart to figure it out. I agree that it’s not the pizza-type pie discussed in a previous post, nor is it the tomato calzone mentioned by James Paul. And although I agree it is kind of like a “regular fruit” pie, but with tomatoes, it is not sweet. Nor do I think is it like Paula Deen’s tomato pie with its 1-cup mozzarella, 1-cup cheddar and 1-cup mayonnaise. It didn’t seem cheesy to me. Hers is a one-crust pie anyway.

I've gone through all my many cookbooks and I’ve spent hours searching the web looking for a savory two-crust pie recipe with no luck, although I have found plenty of recipes for two-crust green tomato pies. If all else fails, I might try one of those but with firm red tomatoes.

In the meantime, I guess I am just going to have to go back to the Bardstown Farmer’s Market this coming Saturday, and buy me another piece. And I’m going to try to talk to the baker lady a bit!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck