Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite Chain

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Favorite Chain

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:52 pm

I am in Chicago, and my wife and I went to one of our favorite restaurants – which is a chain! I got to thinking . . . even people who normally would prefer independents (like us) have that one or two chains that they do like!

My favorite chain is Todai. It’s a Japanese seafood/sushi all-you-can-eat buffet chain that is a LOT of fun, and the food is decent – not as good as several small specialized sushi places, but certainly acceptable and with much broader options.

The chain is out of (I think - someone can correct me) South Korea, and has locations in Hong Kong, 7 additional coming in Korea, Malaysia, around a dozen in California, Vegas, 3 around Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Manhattan, and Fairfax VA. The marketing strategy is to find an extremely upscale concentration of Japanese and Koreans, and locate a restaurant in the area (we’ve been to three of them, and they are all 75% Asian and 25% Caucasian/other).

Among the choices (and virtually all – unless noted – are very good):
• Several noodle soups, with chefs making tempura to add or eat separately – if they’re out of, say, shrimp tempura, just ask and they’ll fry up some more
• Salads, around a dozen, including Japanese cold eggplant, squid and octopus salad, crab salad (sometimes real, sometimes fake), seaweed salad, et al.
• Hot foods, including beef tenderloin teriyaki (cooked medium rare!), chicken, duck, at least one shrimp, at least one crab (and when in season usually soft shell crabs), three or four fish (some very different for American tastes, this time a seared rare tuna with a black sesame seed crust), a couple of noodle dishes, et al
• At least 65 types of sushi and/or sashimi. Not just cheap stuff, but giant clam, octopus, soft shell crab rolls, all the standards, interesting specialty rolls, three different types of fish egg sushi’s, around 12 chefs continually making sushi, a separate chef making hand rolls to order (from a limited number of options) – they don’t have uni very often, but have found it there!
• Fresh fruit
• Cold oysters, clams, and/or mussels (at least two of the three), shrimp, cold tofu items, other appetizers
• Interesting looking and sounding desserts (like green tea cheesecake) – but many of these are not worth the calories. They also have fresh crepes being made, rolled with various fruits and sauces.

Price is around $27 for dinner, plus beverage, and around half that for lunch (when the selection includes sirloin rather than tenderloin, and so forth, and only around 45-50 different sushi options).

Don’t think it will ever be here – not a large enough upscale Asian pop – but maybe if Toyota continues to expand???

Anyone else have a “secret pleasure” chain?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Big Bowl
Pappadeaux's
PF Changs (when I'm on the road)
Panera Bread (stopping when the family is traveling)
Popeyes (oh, so bad for me, but I love the chicken)

Apparently, if your chain starts with a "P", I'm happy.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Charles W. wrote:Big Bowl

Popeyes (oh, so bad for me, but I love the chicken)

good call. Popeye's spicy fried chicken rocks!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:good call. Popeye's spicy fried chicken rocks!

Bojangles used to be pretty good, too, but something happened to their franchise here, and all their Kentucky operations went belly up. Closest now appears to be in Nashville.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:37 pm

We liker Bonefish a lot. Fish is always well prepared and the sides are always excellent.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

I am a Mitchell's fanatic. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Pappasito's. Don't have any of them here but.... the Pappas Family Rocks
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 pm

White Castle
Crystal
Whataburger
In n Out
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm

I've always loved Popeye's spicy chicken, but for some reason it always seems like the Louisville locations are doing something wrong, and they are waaaaay too mild. When I get it in Atlanta is just right. Do they tone it down regionally? Then again I had some in Danville a few years ago that was just right too...
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:00 pm

I like spicy and love Popeyes, Popeyes seems pretty darn spicy here to me but never had it anywhere else. I personally wouldn't want it any spicier.
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:05 pm

I love popeyes! I first started eating there in the late 80's ,when I was in San Diego.Also Rubios in San Diego has great fish tacos.They say San Diego came up with the fish taco, and Rubios was one of the first.I also like Qdoba and Carls Jr. in California.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 pm

I like Panera a lot, though I've been eating there less since I discovered Lunch Today. I also get an occasional craving for Buffalo Wild Wings. And I still admit a fondness for Mama's Pancake Breakfast at Cracker Barrel, though I haven't eaten there in ages.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 pm

White Castle ... late with beers is great ... also great at lunch (no beer) with onion rings.

Moby Dick ... especially with onion rings .. Onion rings are cut and breaded in house.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I agree with Leah on Bonefish, I wish there were more of them around when we traveled. I also really like Carabas, I feel it is much better food and atmosphere than most other Italian chains. It may sound like I'm an Outback fan since these are both part of the same chain, but I'm not. Rather I'm quite anti Outback, I feel its food is only fair and certainly don't feel is worth the time you normally have to wait for a table.

For fast food chains Panera is certainly my favorite and Rally's isn't bad for a fast food burger.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:33 pm

I like a mexican pizza every now and then, oh yea, Taco Bell baby :lol:

I like Burger King burgers every blue moon

Arby's sometimes

Oh, Penn Station has grown on me lately

And a new one on the block, Culvers, especially for their wonderful Frozen Custard.
Next