Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

WH "beer summit"

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

WH "beer summit"

by Leah S » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 am

OK, I think I heard this right. For the "beer summit" today at the White House the beer menu will be:
Bud Light for the pres, Blue Moon for the officer and Red Stripe for the professor. (According to CNN)
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: WH "beer summit"

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:55 am

Not exactly a vote for "change," is it?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

Leah s wrote:OK, I think I heard this right. For the "beer summit" today at the White House the beer menu will be:
Bud Light for the pres, Blue Moon for the officer and Red Stripe for the professor. (According to CNN)

3 foreign beers. You would think with all the good choices available, the Prez would at least try to buy american.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:13 am

Leah s wrote:OK, I think I heard this right. For the "beer summit" today at the White House the beer menu will be:

I think this "beer summit" thing is a great idea. Now if we could just get the axis of evil (Iran, North Korea and California) to buy into it things might get real peachy in a hurry.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 am

Steve P wrote:I think this "beer summit" thing is a great idea. Now if we could just get the axis of evil (Iran, North Korea and California) to buy into it things might get real peachy in a hurry.

Why don't we simply ship them a few thousand cases of Bud Ice. Forget about anthrax; there's a weapon of mass destruction to be afraid of! :wink:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Not exactly a vote for "change," is it?

It's not about change Roger...it's (still) about money. Knowing this summit was coming Goldman Sachs has probably gone long on AB in anticipation of a spike in beer sales following the summit. They'll bundle their beer investment into beer "derivatives" and then (after putting in a call to their buddies over at AIG to make sure they've got their backs) begin selling these beer bonds to unsuspecting pension funds...Everyone else will follow suit, the price of beer will spike (The Beer Bubble of 2009/2010)...and well you know the rest. G/S will make a couple of billion and we'll all be left holding the empty mug.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:18 pm

I don't know why, but for some reason I feel like our country's most powerful elected officials (most of whom are millionaires) should have an appreciation for the finer things in life. Obama smokes Marlboros and drinks Bud? I'm guessing that their state banquets involve boxes of white zin and Applebee's. :wink:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 pm

no avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Steve P wrote: They'll bundle their beer investment into beer "derivatives" and then (after putting in a call to their buddies over at AIG to make sure they've got their backs) begin selling these beer bonds to unsuspecting pension funds...Everyone else will follow suit, the price of beer will spike (The Beer Bubble of 2009/2010)...and well you know the rest. G/S will make a couple of billion and we'll all be left holding the empty mug.

Amen
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:56 am

I was VERY disappointed in their beer choices. I mean WTF? Bud light for the prez?

I'm sure it was carefully discussed and was meant to appeal to the massive portion of our country who does drink that swill. In my opinion, Bud light is about the lowest you can go in terms of having a good beer. Even the malt liquors have more inherent merit because they serve the purpose of getting you drunk. Bud light barely even does that, plus you have the foul taste.

Gates went with Sam Adams light, not the earlier reported Red Stripe. Biden went non-alcohol brew, which is fine (though Kaliber is much better than Buckler). Crowley had the only craft brew, the Blue moon. Please note that Sam Adams isn't truly a craft beer in my book. They contract brew their beer at a number of regional breweries. They have a small token brewery in Boston, but aren't really brewers, just marketers. Also note that Blue Moon is owned by Coors Molson (yes, they are one big entity). Nice right wing politics there, so perhaps an ironic choice for Crowley.

So you have two light beers, two "phony" craft brews, and an NA beer...

Disappointing. Especially to those of us (Roger and I and ??????) who run light free zones.....and strive for quality!

Cheers
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:14 am

The were discussing a quintessentially "American" issue, and ignoring a segment of the American economy that truly can be said to have revitalized an entire industry.

Take that for what it's worth. It's shoddy symbolism on all of their parts.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana