Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

Boombozz Taphouse BoomBrew Amber

by Tony P. » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Thank you Robin for allowing to post.

June 9th, 5pm Tapping of Keg, The newly opened and redesigned Boombozz Taphouse on Bardstown and Eastern Parkway starts out the summer season with the release of its own BoomBrew Amber exclusively at the Tap House. The distinctive brew will be tapped and pints will be sold for $2 until the keg stands no more!
no avatar
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

Re: Boombozz Taphouse BoomBrew Amber

by Brian Taylor Clark » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:27 pm

What temperature will you be serving it at?
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Tony,
Who is brewing this distinctive brew?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Len Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Louisville

by Len Stevens » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 pm

David

I've asked the same question and was unable to get an answer...makes me a bit nervous.
Len Stevens II
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Len Stevens wrote:David

I've asked the same question and was unable to get an answer...makes me a bit nervous.

I did hear the old Christian Morlein brewery fired up again in Cincinnati. Maybe they have a keg of Hudie Amber? :twisted:
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 pm

The Consuming Louisville blog had this story up this morning:

Boom Brew is brewed and created by BBC Brewery Downtown Tap Room. Boom Brew is an Amber Style beer with a crisp finish and a great go-with for an award-winning pizza created by founder Tony Palombino.

http://www.consuminglouisville.com/2009/06/boombooz-taproom-launches-boom.php

Purpose brewed, I assume? We've been talking about this all week at work.

So, can anyone provide testimony as to the quality of the tap list at the new BoomBozz Taphouse?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:33 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:So, can anyone provide testimony as to the quality of the tap list at the new BoomBozz Taphouse?

I'll leave the value judgment to you guys, but here was the list of beers on draft last month:

IMPORT
Smithwick's
Stella Artois
Hoegaarden
Boddington's
Bass Ale
Guinness

CRAFT
Schlafly Dry Hopped APA
Shock Top
Blue Moon
BBC Nut Brown Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Magic Hat #9
Goose Island Honker's Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Mad Hatter IPA
Widmer Hefeweizen
BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout
Mat Hatter Poet Stout

I was too lazy to enter individual prices, but it's basically $4 to $5. Curiously, the priciest items on the list are Stella, Bass Ale and Guinness ($5.25).
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'll leave the value judgment to you guys, but here was the list of beers on draft last month:

IMPORT
Smithwick's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Boddington's, Bass Ale, Guinness

CRAFT
Schlafly Dry Hopped APA, Shock Top, Blue Moon, BBC Nut Brown Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Magic Hat #9, Goose Island Honker's Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Mad Hatter IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, Mat Hatter Poet Stout

I was too lazy to enter individual prices, but it's basically $4 to $5. Curiously, the priciest items on the list are Stella, Bass Ale and Guinness ($5.25).

Following is my review of the beer list, which reflects my own opinions and is not to be regarded as a statement about the whole of the operation (recall that the missus would rather have BoomBozz than my own company's pizza, so this isn't about food, ambience or service, just the draft beer).

Competent but unadventurous, and especially uninspiring on the import side, with too many utterly predictable wholesaler "you gotta sell this one" fingerprints for my taste. The craft side is better, covering a bit of stylistic ground: Some hops, a stout and wheat (with lamentable mockrobrew overlap ... add Upland Wheat, and subtract Shock Top & Blue Moon).

Where are the Belgians? Is there a bottle list, too? Stella is Eurolager and not representative of Belgian brewing. A couple of well placed draft Belgian ales would be excellent alongside pizza, as would a good old fashioned draft German-style dark lager.

The potential's definitely there, but the list is a tad conservative out of the starting gate, considering the pre-opening high hopes. Maybe a C+. Could be a B- if not for stylistic repetitions and unnecessary kowtowing toward "big" names at the expense of creativity.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Is this just BBC Amber renamed? Like they do with the BBC golden? The Golden has like 4 different names depending on the marketing push. But its the same beer every time.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Is this just BBC Amber renamed? Like they do with the BBC golden? The Golden has like 4 different names depending on the marketing push. But its the same beer every time.

My guess is BBC Amber.
Last edited by David R. Pierce on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

by Tony P. » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Len Stevens wrote:David

Len,
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, we have been slammed at Taphouse. Plus I thought it was mentioned in the PR piece.

I appreciate all of your wonderful suggestions! especially Roger's. We did go a little conservative to start out, but that is the beauty of hops, you can change it at anytime. We are finding our way around and we will have an "open ear" to suggestions. Heck maybe one day we will have a "Baylor Beer" on tap and get an A+ (SMILEY FACE)

Thank again for all of you suggestions!
Tony
no avatar
User

Joel Halbleib

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

by Joel Halbleib » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm

"But its the same beer every time."

Absolutely, and thanks so much for the compliment. We strive for consistency here at the BBC. We do have many custom named beers. Over the years many of our beers have gone by custom names in our customers venues. For example Caesar's Gold, Rabbit Hash, Lou Lou Lager, Audubon Member's Ale, Cole Porter, Bearno's Cardinal Ale, DCE Stout, and most recently Derby City Roller Girls Heartbreaker Ale. We do custom brew beers for several customers, but that involves the customer commiting to buying an entire batch. Many of the custom named beers are customers who want very much to have a fully customized recipe but can not make a commitment to buy and entire batch of beer. So we make the sacrafice to let them rename the beer in hopes that each one of them will one day be able to afford to contract a custom beer recipe of their own. The Liquor Barn "Sheltowee" brand we brew has been a hugly successful venture between our two companies. Growing into four distinctively different recipes from any other that we brew are, Gold, IPA, 502, Gloomsucker. We are fully commited to helping our customers as much as possible while maintaining the quality and consistency the Louisville has come to expect from us.

Thanks
Brewer
Bluegrass Brewing Co
636 E Main St
jhalbleib@bluegrassbrew.com
(502)584-brew
no avatar
User

Phil Dearner

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:02 pm

by Phil Dearner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:31 pm

$2.00 freshly brewed beer, sign me up for two.
Phillip W. Dearner
Beer Pimp
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Phil and Joel, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of you around here in the coming days. If you're interested in sushi, you might want to hop over to the offline forum and see if there's still room at our Sake Blue offline coming up on the 15th. We'd love to meet you.

As for the beer selection at the taproom, I'm going to have to side with Roger. I believe some of us also threw out some suggestions in the thread on beer temperature. If I remember correctly, there was interest in a good German wheat and some real Belgians. I still also think that catching a few of Sierra Nevada's new brews (the kellerweiss and the brown saison) would be great if such a thing could be arranged. Best of luck with it!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 am

Paul Mick wrote: I still also think that catching a few of Sierra Nevada's new brews (the kellerweiss and the brown saison) would be great if such a thing could be arranged. Best of luck with it!

Paul, Kellerweiss isn't available in Louisville yet but you should start seeing it pop-up within the next two weeks starting off in 6 packs. I had a chance to taste it last week and it is the most authentic, delicious Hefe I've seen from an American brewer. The Brown Saison is a limited release and draft only. There are a couple of places in town who have had it on, but once it's gone, it's gone. Based on how well its been received, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sierra bring it back next year.
Next