Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: Your opinion about a hypothetical bill of fare?

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am

Thank you. For better or worse, it's my personality type; I just can't do anything without it being a crusade.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:45 am

Roger,

I so admire your passion!

Just to be clear- I never suggested that you didn't want kids/families in your place; I assumed you did- hence my suggestion. And in answer to your: " Is it necessary to have a tagged "kids menu" when there'll be frites and croques (ham sandwiches ... omit the ham, and they become grilled cheese)? "- it's all about the marketing ( and the price point). From a marketing perspective, I do think you want to call it a kids menu- people will ask or call to ask and a simple- Yes we do, here are your options will help. And I do also recommend a smaller portion/lesser price to go with that- paying $6-8 (I'm guessing) for a ham croque & frites for a couple of children in a family of four is cost prohibitive. But $4.50- $4.95 for half a sandwich and frites is very much in line with other restaurants offerings. ( And personally- I say you leave the ham in the croque unless specifically requested- sounds wonderful and expands their palates) :D

Best of luck- Can't wait to visit and spread the word- my sister and her family live in New Albany.

DEb
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 pm

I copied from Roger and Rich O's: Ray's Monkey House is a "light free zone." We simply won't carry "light" beers. If you want to diet, don't drink beer.

We also won't carry any Anheuser Busch products, because of my former experiences with them as a small brewer, and the way they have historically treated small breweries.

No. People won't go away in droves. I have had someone (one) come in asking if we had Michelob Ultra (or something like that, I don't keep track of the silly trendy mass market swill). I said no. They did leave. So I lost a customer (who would have bought one or two bad beers). But quality is important in my opinion. We offer only two "cheap" beers out of our 40. We do that because I understand not everyone has big bucks. So they're two bucks all the time. They are PBR in a bottle, and Old Style in a can (Hey, I'm a Cubs fan, and old style brings me right back to Wrigley field and a buddy's apartment in Chi-town).

Wish we could do all the cool food stuff Roger has in mind. Simply don't have the space. Someday perhaps...

Cheers, and keep up the good work Roger!!!!

Nimbus
Ray's Monkey House Coffeeshop
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

I just have to disagree slightly with Carla re: the issue of young singles v. families, etc.

I'm married, but in my late 20's, without children. We eat out often, and are friends of many other young couples, both with and without kids, and singles, all in the mid-20s to mid-30s range. They and we eat out often and have the tastes for what Roger is describing.

Drop into places like Asiatique or Avalon or any other slew of restaurants (I used those examples because of their more hip/modern feel, but that's just an example) and you'll see many groups of young singles or young couples. No, Louisville isn't Austin or Manhattan, but we're not quite the city of married with children only families that is used to be. Things have changed dramatically since I started making trips here when I was in college to now.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Roger,
To be perfectly honest with you, there are a lot of things you have posted that I did not agree with at all. However, I definitely am a fan of your principles and enthusiasm and I will tell you that this idea is simply fantastic. I think a place like this is what this area needs and am really looking forward to it. It kind of reminds me of Cumberland Brews but taken to another level (not that I dislike Cumberland Brews). I do not see the need for a children's menu because there is always something that can be done to accomodate kids if the parents choose to bring them. But this seems like a place where adults can come and relax, learn, and enjoy beverages that are not available at every other place in town. Just because you are not kid friendly does not mean you are anti-kid. I feel that if parents think their kids can hack a place like that, by all means bring them. But please don't if you don't think so. Anyway, I love the idea and will definitely frequent it. As a resident of St. Matthews, I don't think it will be part of the regular rotation, but I definitely think a once a month visit would be realistic. I truly wish you best of luck in the endevour and I am sure with your passion, it will be a success.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 pm

So, Roger, Where are you currently standin' on the Havana Cola?
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Leah s wrote:So, Roger, Where are you currently standin' on the Havana Cola?

Last I heard, Josh is sourcing it. We'll revisit at the Monday morning meeting.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Mark P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

by Mark P » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

First of all, I am greatly looking forward to the new place opening. Rich O's is fantastic and I expect the new place to be equally great!!

However, as a business owner that has gone against the grain (Fireworks without BOGO in Gary, IN) in the interest of educating people...I would advise being prepared to have customers leave when finding out they cant get what they are accustomed to and feel they can easily get elsewhere.

I dont think burgers and Bud are a necessity, but you have to have something concrete to give them in terms of both taste and price...especially price. People have an idea of what a meal with a couple of beers should cost. For example, when we go to Rich O's, I know its going to cost more than most meals where I have a beer or two because I always try something different regardless of cost. The pizza is what really draws me though...and I gladly pay more for it. I sometimes see or hear people who have not been before and have a sticker shock when their bill of $65 comes because no matter how many times they looked at the menu, they still cant see spending that amount on pizza and beer...although I imagine most look back and feel it was well worth it.

The issue I see here is that I was introduced to Rich O's by longtime lovers of the place. A new place will not have that luxury (outside of those that become patrons of both places). And unlike fireworks, where they can go compare exact items and price to see that mine are better, if they don't try out your product before leaving, then they have no reason to come back.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Roger, it really sounds like such a great place and I promise to get out of my comfort zone and visit.
In an earlier post I expressed my concerns, but I failed to factor in your passion and dedication which are evident in every one of your posts. I wish you all the luck in the world.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Leah s wrote:So, Roger, Where are you currently standin' on the Havana Cola?

Last I heard, Josh is sourcing it. We'll revisit at the Monday morning meeting.

When you source it, drop me a line. They never replied back to me when I tried contacting them last year.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm

Hmm, interesting. Josh has reported similar difficulties, if I'm not mistaken.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

by Gena W. » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:45 pm

Havana Beverages
624 E. Market St.
Lou., KY 40202
502-584-2018
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks Gena. I'll forward to Josh and get a report on his progress. We discussed the Havana brands at length yesterday while doing field research.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Gena W. wrote:Havana Beverages
624 E. Market St.
Lou., KY 40202
502-584-2018

I dropped them a couple messages via email and a phone call, and never got a response. 3 strikes, and I was out.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 pm

As an Indiana resident, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. You can guarantee my husband and I will go and we would drag our family (who do live in New Albany) and our friends that live in Louisville to something like this.
PreviousNext