Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Your opinion about a hypothetical bill of fare?

by Matthew D » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:What about in downtown New Albany?

Doug W wrote:Sounds like a place I'd love to go to, but like Mark R said, it'd be a destination for me (I think Mark R said that.) While I'd really enjoy going, I live in the East end, so it would not be a regular Friday stop or a likely "Hey, it's Tuesday night let's go to..." gig. Kind of like how I have really enjoyed Rich O's every time I've gone, but I've only gone a handful of times.

More thoughts:

Although I'm sure the distance is short as the crow flies, I'm quite excited to have an option closer than Grant Line. Anything "downtown" I'm a fan of. Anything "closer to Louisville" I'm a fan of. Anything within walking distance of the river, I'm a fan of.

I could see this turning into a destination on my bicycle coming from Old Louisville. I ride often in the NA area, but try to stay off of Grant Line (except for those few times a year when I am jonesing for a climb up Spickert Knob). I'd just take the 2nd street, go by the Falls, head down to the road next to the flood walls, and emerge back out in downtown NA. Roger, make sure you include a good bike rack in the plans.

A microbrew in downtown NA is plenty enough reason to ask, "OK, what's going on in New Albany this weekend?" That's a plenty good start.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 am

I love great food, I really do. And especially great desserts. :) I'd really like to see some more beverage options, especially of the calorie free variety. I don't know much about those "crafty" sodas because they rarely seem to be available in a calorie-free version so they don't cross my lips. If you really are not interested in customers who like Diet Coke, then I think you excluding a lot of people who would otherwise be your customers. And no, I might not make my first dining decision based on what beverages are available, but I will make my second decision on it.

Will there be menu selections that are vegetarian and vegan friendly?
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 am

I guess I understand your strong desire to educate the public palate, but what I don't understand is excluding options for those that might not be ready to be educated right now. I would think giving them options other than their regular sodas and allowing your customers to make the decision to try something new on their own would be softer than forcing them to drink water or nothing at all.

Having a choice is always the better way to go IMHO.

Amy
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 am

amy lyons wrote:I guess I understand your strong desire to educate the public palate, but what I don't understand is excluding options for those that might not be ready to be educated right now. I would think giving them options other than their regular sodas and allowing your customers to make the decision to try something new on their own would be softer than forcing them to drink water or nothing at all.

Having a choice is always the better way to go IMHO.

Amy

I agree with the premise of what Amy (and others) are saying...Case in point, we had some out of town guests (three other couples) and during their visit we a went down to BBC (Shelbyville) for some brews and a bite to eat...not realizing that they don't serve any light domestic beer ("Fizzy water"). While six of us are by and large adventurous in the type of beer we consume the other two are more into "fizzy water" beer. Because we wanted our uneducated friends to also enjoy the evening our visit ended up being a lot shorter (and less profitable) than it could have been.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:43 am

Doug W wrote:Sounds like a place I'd love to go to, but like Mark R said, it'd be a destination for me (I think Mark R said that.) While I'd really enjoy going, I live in the East end, so it would not be a regular Friday stop or a likely "Hey, it's Tuesday night let's go to..." gig. Kind of like how I have really enjoyed Rich O's every time I've gone, but I've only gone a handful of times.

I'm getting thirsty already though!

Cheers,

Doug

Ditto Doug. I think the idea is fantastic, and really jives as my kind of place. I love it love it love it.

However, for those of us anywhere in Louisville, it would have to be a destination trip, much as a trip to Rich O's is. That is, we (personally speaking) plan in advance, try to time it to avoid the worst of the crowds (I really feel sad if I don't eat in the Red Room), must have a driver, etc. etc. Therefore, I wouldn't make it there as much as I would like, the same as I don't get to Rich O's as much as I would like, simply because, for me, I live in the Highlands and there are lots of great places that are a walk or very short drive away. It's this same mentality/convenience factor that keeps me from frequenting as many St. Matthews or Crescent Hill places as I would like (and the reason I've only been WAY OUT to Mojito twice).

I have no idea of the demographic in downtown New Albany or close by. Obviously, locating in a place close to where the demographic that would frequent the establishment the most lives, the better you're going to do. This may not necessarily be the case with a place like NABC/Rich O's, because a pizza place (yes, it goes WAY beyond that, of course) crosses a broader demographic than a location focused on Belgian food. This type of place would probably do fantastic in the Highlands or Crescent Hill, like Cumberland Brews does (though it sounds like your food and general concept is a step up).

The idea - I love it, and will be there. Just probably not weekly.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 am

Brad Keeton wrote:However, for those of us anywhere in Louisville, it would have to be a destination trip, much as a trip to Rich O's is.

Okay, I'm somewhat guilty of this kind of thinking too. I live in Crescent Hill and circulate easily through my own neighborhood, St. Matthews and the Highlands. But it takes a real act of will for me to get way out into the East End, and I've been putting off Sake Blue (for instance) much longer than I should have simply because it seems like the other end of the world.

Oddly, though, I don't feel that way about downtown New Albany. I jump on I-64 about three blocks from my front door, and it's no more than a 10-minute drive over to Roger's new place (assuming I avoid the pit of rush hour). It's only 15 minutes to Rich O's.

New Albany strikes me as very cool ... frankly, it's the only Indiana suburb that I really like. An attractive, underdeveloped but rebuilding downtown with many of its historic buildings intact; a Mansion Row that's a match for the better parts of Old Louisville (without the crime). And lots of leafy neighborhoods that aren't all that different from the Highlands. Under the right circumstances, I wouldn't at all be put off by the idea of living over there.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Of course the entire idea seems positively marvelous to me, although I'm sure you expected nothing but wholehearted support from a crowd like this.

First and most importantly, in regards to the bar, are you planning on stocking gin? I don't really consider dry gin martinis (the only real martini) to be a froo-froo drink, considering my version usually ends up consisting of pure gin and 2 olives with barely enough vermouth to coat the glass. As a counterpoint to my own thoughts though, I'm sure I'll almost always drink beer whenever I visit Bank Street. The gin thing is just a thought.

Next, I agree with Leah on the diet beverage issue. Personally I loathe the stuff and would usually rather go thirsty than drink diet beverages, however a lot of people are watching their caloric intake and would appreciate it I'm sure.

Also, when you say 'iced tea' are referring to the sweetened or unsweetened variety. Once again I don't drink the stuff myself very often, but I know some people (my girlfriend included) order water instead whenever the tea isn't pre-sweetened. (We're really far enough south for that kind of thing, believe it or not.) However she'd also order craft sodas, so for her it doesn't make a huge difference but for some people it might.

Props for the cheese plate. I always love a good cheese plate. Out of curiosity though, are you planning on having an accompanying olive sampler? That would kind of be an icing on the cake thing, but I'm sure a number of people would enjoy it.

Also, I'm curious how many beers you're planning on keeping tap at any time. Is it just going to be the usual 5 or 6 NABC brews, or are you going to expand it once your larger brewery is up and running?

Could you also possibly post a complete menu online whenever you get it finalized. I'd be willing to bet that there are many of us that would love to have a look.

Last of all, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the work you're putting in on the Bank Street project. Everything about it sounds wonderful so far, and you can bet that I'll be there on opening night.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:What about in downtown New Albany?

I'm going to be in Indy most of the day today doing field research, but I appreciate the responses thus far and wish for more. Many of you correctly guess that my outline describes the forthcoming NABC Bank Street Brewhouse, which we hope to have open in about three weeks. The brewing system won't be ready until May, so beer will be brewed at Grant Line for both places. Distribution would start later in the year.

I look at it as (a) the opportunity to educate, and (b) a case where the establishment has its bill of fare, that's what it does, and there is the hope that customers will like it. Some won't. Any one who predicates the acceptability of an entire venture by whether default colas or beer are available is likely to miss the point, anyway. Having conceded that, being snide or rude isn't the issue, because the planned destination isn't Dick's Last Resort. To me, it's about framing the daily presentation in such a way as to make education and growth possible for those so inclined.

Sunday hours would be a go, though perhaps with a special food offering or scaled back menu at first. Probably closed on Monday. And because zebra mussels are an acquired taste (they need extra garlic, for sure), the usual sources of origin would constitute one of several exceptions to local supplies. :D
If you build it...they will come (and me too!). Just make sure you are not under-capitalized as Jan/Feb/March are a back breaker in NA no matter how revitalized it is. See ya soon Rog!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Leah s wrote:I love great food, I really do. And especially great desserts. :) I'd really like to see some more beverage options, especially of the calorie free variety. I don't know much about those "crafty" sodas because they rarely seem to be available in a calorie-free version so they don't cross my lips. If you really are not interested in customers who like Diet Coke, then I think you excluding a lot of people who would otherwise be your customers. And no, I might not make my first dining decision based on what beverages are available, but I will make my second decision on it.

I'm with Leah on the Diet Coke thing. Yes, I'm a rabid Diet Coke drinker- but I'd never order one if there were craft beers and local wines available. :D But I'm speaking from my own experience: our store only stocked "craft " sodas, but we never found a good low-cal option. We had so many requests for Diet Cokes ( typically with lunch)- that it turned into a negative that we didn't stock it. We ended up buying cans by the case from Sam's and stocking it to meet the customer requests. I'd suggest you think about doing the same.

Best of luck with the new venture-
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Deb Hall wrote: our store only stocked "craft " sodas, but we never found a good low-cal option.

THREAD HIJACK ALERT:
Jones Soda black cherry. Tart, not too sweet, natural fruit flavor, no perceptible fake-sugar taste. Put it in a tall glass over ice and add a chunk of lemon or lime and you would never know it was a no-cal drink.

Heine Bros. has it, and it's my warm-weather drink of choice when I don't want caffeine.

Also, a more recent arrival: Havana Cola, made locally. The high-octane is made with pure cane sugar. The no-cal isn't bad, particularly with the lemon or lime and ice treatment.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 pm

I agree with the other posters about the diet drink option.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 pm

So many echoes of previous threads! The question to me is this: How far against the grain of the concept must one go to please anyone who might come through the door? Must there be burgers, a kiddie menu, and light beer?

I do not ask this confrontationally, or rudely. The idea is to present options usually not seen, and to revel in the differences. The tag line is American Brewing, European Sensibility.

Gin and vodka come later; martinis and tonic only. Two veggie options, more possible (my wife is lacto-intolerant and vegetarian). Water the ultimate low cal option, and nyet on sweet tea, sorry. Not intending to be terse, but I'm on my iPhone in a van bound for Indy.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Wes P wrote:I get the impression he already has the location, he just wants to know if it will work.

The more narrow you make the concept, the fewer people (customers) you have to pick from.

As long as you're not trying to make a good living from it......

Are you trying to make a social statement or a profit?

People said the same thing about a beer bar (pre-NABC days) not serving light beer. How did that work out?

If you can draw a large repeat crowd from a select niche market, you can make a profit. Rich O's showed this (at least
I assume it is profitable :) ).

Myself, Rich O's appeals to me much more than the "hypothetical" does, but Im not in the target audience, I dont think.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

carla griffin wrote:
I'll tell you what would ABSOLUTELY KILL the restaurant/cafe/bistro you have in mind however. The first time, and I can't stress this enough, the first time ANYONE walks in and flippantly asks for a Bud/Coor/Lite (because 'artisan' is not a big word in their vocabulary) and they are met with a snide look or veiled sneer, your place will be marked as 'uncomfortable'. More so than a good price and great food, people dine where they feel welcome and comfortable. If they are made to feel uneducated or lacking in any way because of their tastes they will stay away- in droves. And they will share that story with everyone to which they speak.

Ive seen people make comments like that about Rich O's on websites before. Rarely*, but Ive seen the comments. Yet somehow it didnt kill them.

* I think its rare because Ive never seen the staff act that way. I think someone got a bug up their butt because they couldnt get a Bud light.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:So many echoes of previous threads! The question to me is this: How far against the grain of the concept must one go to please anyone who might come through the door? Must there be burgers, a kiddie menu, and light beer?

Roger,
With your concept, no, you don't need to offer Burgers and/or light beer. But unless your concept is "no kids or families allowed" ( which I don't think it is), I'd strongly suggest having at least 1-2 kid options. Not offering some smaller portion/lesser cost options for families is both unwelcoming and cuts out alot of your market. These days, we rarely go out to eat without our kids- we both enjoy eating as a family and we can't afford to tack on $40 for a babysitter everytime we go out.

But [url]No[/url], I don't mean the typical chicken nuggets and french fries kiddie meal. If the concept is European, and education, then educate the kids and their palates by offering small cold cheese and meat plates, and/or a real sandwich ( maybe half) served with those wonderful frites. And juices and/or milk to drink. It doesn't need to be much different from what you are already offering, just cheaper and a smaller portion. And itls very in-keeping with the European Bistro concept, where children are very much part of the scene.

:)
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext