Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Your opinion about a hypothetical bill of fare?

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Let’s consider a hypothetical case. There’s a new eatery with emphasis on beer brewed in house, short food menu of bistro/brasserie fare: Belgian-style frites, sandwiches, mussels, salad and soup. Cold cheese and meat plates. As much as possible sourced locally and regionally, with a talented young chef manning the ship.

Insofar as possible, everything being vended comes from family-owned and/or small artisan businesses.

The only beers sold are draft, and brewed on site. No swill, period. The wine list is composed entirely of regional small winery products. Short but smart liquor selection and no “full” bar in the sense of cocktails; rather, something like 4 good bourbons, a couple each single malt and tequila, no foo-foo or fruit or wild creations best done by others who are capable. When possible, liquor comes from microbreweries now distilling.

Espresso and cups of coffee made fresh each time; no bottomless cups, European-style. No mass-market sodas (Coke, Pepsi, et al), but instead craft sodas (Sprecher springs to mind). Iced tea, though only because the owner was forced to compromise on something along the way even though he doesn’t like the iced version much.

Now, is this the sort of thing that would scare folks off, or are there enough adventurous souls hereabouts to make a go of it?

All hypothetical, of course. :twisted:
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Your opinion about a hypothetical bill of fare?

by Jackie R. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Here here!!! What a dream...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Not sure if everyone will agree with this opinion or not but I think a lot would depend on the location. I think there are certainly enough people locally who would enjoy that atmosphere and range of selections but the location would have to be carefully selected to make it convenient for them. I'm not exactly sure where would be the best place to put such an establishment. I'm thinking the downtown end of Bardstown Road I'm sure some other locations would also work. It needs to be a place where people live, not just traveled to. It also needs to be an area with a younger affluent population who enjoy spending time enjoying life. I think in a few years East Main Street would be a good location but I think today it would be difficult to draw crowds on a regular basis.

I know I'd certainly enjoy visiting on a regular basis if it was convenient but wouldn't visit very often as it was a "destination". Let us know how this idea progresses, I'm sure many members here would be enthusiastic supporters. From
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:32 pm

What part of town (the VIlle) are ya looking at locating this venture? I LOVE the hypothisys.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Last edited by Jay M. on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am

Seems like you have an idea of who your audience is - connoisseurs, foodies, and/or supporters of all things local. Those people will come.

Whether they return will be based on the quality of the product.

------

My only issue with such an establishment is not whether I would attend but whether I would bring certain people (like that unnamed aunt who drinks diet coke with every meal). Would you rather them not come based on what may (or may not be) a trivial reason (fountain drink options), or would you rather make some compromises and expand who your audience could be.

Knowing NABC, I think I already know the answer.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 am

I get the impression he already has the location, he just wants to know if it will work.

The more narrow you make the concept, the fewer people (customers) you have to pick from.

As long as you're not trying to make a good living from it......

Are you trying to make a social statement or a profit?
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
no avatar
User

Daren F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Louisville, KY

by Daren F » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 am

Actually, such a "hypothetical" venue is a great place to introduce people to new things. A quality, limited bill of fare will appeal to those who appreciate such things and gently allow their less adventurous guests to venture outside of their comfort zone. I have taken several people to Rich O's whose range of beer experience has been limited to BudMillerCoors and have found that the staff there has always skillfully steered them towards different beers that they would have never tried otherwise . . . 99% of the time, these folks will remark later that they enjoyed the new experience and start to venture out on their own.
I am looking forward to the new place, Roger. Do you have any idea if you guys will be open on Sundays?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 am

Roger, I hope a place like this works, the food sounds like a spectacular idea as do the brews. I would never sugggest an owner compromise before they open a dream, but I do have a concern about educating a clientele in this economy. From everything I have read in the media, and recent professional experience, it seems the public is looking for old fashioned comfort and not really something new.
That being said I promise to come in and try the locally sourced food. Even the local mussels :wink:
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 am

Separating what I would like to see - and a great many others on this forum as well it would seem- from what would work in reality is essential to answering your question. Wes pointed out accurately that the more narrow you base your concept the smaller base of customers you have to draw from. So there's that to consider. Location as well as price points are also important factors. Figuring out that formula is not much better than a crap shoot.

I'll tell you what would ABSOLUTELY KILL the restaurant/cafe/bistro you have in mind however. The first time, and I can't stress this enough, the first time ANYONE walks in and flippantly asks for a Bud/Coor/Lite (because 'artisan' is not a big word in their vocabulary) and they are met with a snide look or veiled sneer, your place will be marked as 'uncomfortable'. More so than a good price and great food, people dine where they feel welcome and comfortable. If they are made to feel uneducated or lacking in any way because of their tastes they will stay away- in droves. And they will share that story with everyone to which they speak. Educating the public is fine and noble but there are a few that are not asking for an education when they dine; they're just out with friends/family/co-workers. If you don't act like you're thrilled to see them as well then you can kiss the success of your business good-bye.

Just my opinion.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:18 am

I think the concept is great. While having a beer a Sergios(800 different bottles) I was talking with the owner about why he still keeps a keg of swill on tap. His reply was its the only thing he makes money on. In the case of Sergios I think location has much to do with it.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 am

Assuming execution and service matched the concept, I could see giving a hell of a rating to a place like that. 8)
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:27 am

Sounds great, but I do agree with Carla. The first time someone is met with a sneer, or corrected in a less than polite way, you have lost that person's business, and they will tell all their friends about that ONE aspect of the visit, not how good the food is, not how good the beer is, but that their server was rude, and they were belittled.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 am

What about in downtown New Albany?

I'm going to be in Indy most of the day today doing field research, but I appreciate the responses thus far and wish for more. Many of you correctly guess that my outline describes the forthcoming NABC Bank Street Brewhouse, which we hope to have open in about three weeks. The brewing system won't be ready until May, so beer will be brewed at Grant Line for both places. Distribution would start later in the year.

I look at it as (a) the opportunity to educate, and (b) a case where the establishment has its bill of fare, that's what it does, and there is the hope that customers will like it. Some won't. Any one who predicates the acceptability of an entire venture by whether default colas or beer are available is likely to miss the point, anyway. Having conceded that, being snide or rude isn't the issue, because the planned destination isn't Dick's Last Resort. To me, it's about framing the daily presentation in such a way as to make education and growth possible for those so inclined.

Sunday hours would be a go, though perhaps with a special food offering or scaled back menu at first. Probably closed on Monday. And because zebra mussels are an acquired taste (they need extra garlic, for sure), the usual sources of origin would constitute one of several exceptions to local supplies. :D
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

Sounds like a place I'd love to go to, but like Mark R said, it'd be a destination for me (I think Mark R said that.) While I'd really enjoy going, I live in the East end, so it would not be a regular Friday stop or a likely "Hey, it's Tuesday night let's go to..." gig. Kind of like how I have really enjoyed Rich O's every time I've gone, but I've only gone a handful of times.

I'm getting thirsty already though!

Cheers,

Doug
Next