Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Hat's off to Justin and the Windsor!

by David Clancy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 am

I just took a gander at the Shrimp and Grits throwdown and saw that Justin McMillen took 1st place. Congrats to Justin and all at the Windsor. I gotta say that ive seen several of his menus and he's been quietly going about doing some really aggressive, cutting edge stuff at that property since they opened. I'm very glad to see the effort paying off. I strongley suggest that anyone who hasn't been there go check it out! Anyone have any pictures of the dish??
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hat's off to Justin and the Windsor!

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:39 pm

David Clancy wrote:I just took a gander at the Shrimp and Grits throwdown and saw that Justin McMillen took 1st place. Congrats to Justin and all at the Windsor. I gotta say that ive seen several of his menus and he's been quietly going about doing some really aggressive, cutting edge stuff at that property since they opened. I'm very glad to see the effort paying off. I strongley suggest that anyone who hasn't been there go check it out! Anyone have any pictures of the dish??

I took iPhone pix of most of the dishes as they went through my judging station, but they were presented to us "blind," so it's going to take some cipherin' to sort out which was which. I'll try to scope out Justin's and post it shortly. (I think I got all of them, but sadly, Dan Thomas's spectacular shrimp-and-grits tamale didn't come out - I must have whipped the camera around during the shot, and it's just a blur. :(

Agreed, serious props to Justin. I think his win is going to drive a LOT of folks over to New Albany Real Soon Now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm pretty sure this was Justin's. My judging comments included observations that the collards and bacon were a nice touch, the shrimp were perfectly cooked, and ditto the grits. It was a nicely balanced, well-made dish, paying homage to tradition rather than taking the concept over the top. I scored it 17 out of 20, which was one of my highest scores. (My highest was an 18, for Corbett's; the other top three was a 17 also, for Westport General Store. Son of a Sailor ranked fourth for me, at 16.

Here's the picture - can anyone confirm that this is indeed Windsor's?

windsorgrits.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Very good memory, Robin. Yes, that's Justin's dish.

Deb
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 pm

I didn't get to taste that one :(
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:57 pm

If it makes you feel any better- I didn't either... :cry:

Deb
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm

David Clancy wrote:I just took a gander at the Shrimp and Grits throwdown and saw that Justin McMillen took 1st place. Congrats to Justin and all at the Windsor. I gotta say that ive seen several of his menus and he's been quietly going about doing some really aggressive, cutting edge stuff at that property since they opened. I'm very glad to see the effort paying off. I strongley suggest that anyone who hasn't been there go check it out! Anyone have any pictures of the dish??

What/Where is the Windsor?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 pm

148 E Market St.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 pm

You want proof that Chef Clancy's a classy dude? Read no further than his opening post above. It's been hard for Bistro New Albany fans, but the Windsor's been flying under the radar just like Dave says, and I've had good experiences there.

The Windsor has a beer dinner coming up on the 23rd ... yo, Isaac, are you still here? I can post the info if you want.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:You want proof that Chef Clancy's a classy dude? Read no further than his opening post above. It's been hard for Bistro New Albany fans, but the Windsor's been flying under the radar just like Dave says, and I've had good experiences there.

The Windsor has a beer dinner coming up on the 23rd ... yo, Isaac, are you still here? I can post the info if you want.

Yes, Roger, I'm still here....And a post about the details of the beer dinner would be fantastic. Between shrimp and grits, Secrets of Louisville Chefs, and the insanity that is about to be Valentine's, we haven't been able to push the beer dinner much yet. But our attention is now turning to malts, hops, and more good food.

And Chef Clancy, yes, you are a classy dude. As always. Thanks for the kind words about the throwdown. All of us at the Windsor would like to extend our thanks to everyone responsible for putting this fantastic competition together and making it a success. Everything was handled superberly!!
no avatar
User

Dean Corbett

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm

by Dean Corbett » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 am

I actually loved the petit portion of Shrimp and Grits with the Thyme Garni...I have no idea who's it was, I believe it had shaved Reggiano or Pecorino on it as well, I also really enjoyed Dan Thomas's and quite frankly if I had to order one in a restaurant the tamale would be at the top of the list. I found out later that the egg on the last one was the original historical presentation, also very well done, didn't know that.
A very fun time and a great turnout, thanks to all!
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:You want proof that Chef Clancy's a classy dude? Read no further than his opening post above. It's been hard for Bistro New Albany fans, but the Windsor's been flying under the radar just like Dave says, and I've had good experiences there.

Ahh...shucks (toe tapping ground :oops: ). Hope Bank Street is going great and I'll stop in for a beer.-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm

Dean Corbett wrote:I actually loved the petit portion of Shrimp and Grits with the Thyme Garni...I have no idea who's it was, I believe it had shaved Reggiano or Pecorino on it as well, I also really enjoyed Dan Thomas's and quite frankly if I had to order one in a restaurant the tamale would be at the top of the list. I found out later that the egg on the last one was the original historical presentation, also very well done, didn't know that.
A very fun time and a great turnout, thanks to all!

Dean,

It wouldn't have surprised you if you'd been able to see it, but I couldn't get over how fast Chris and the team were moving ( in a sweltering corner) to perfectly prepare those itty-bitty quail eggs individually for each guest. Wow- what a challenging presentation to take on!

Deb
no avatar
User

Dean Corbett

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm

by Dean Corbett » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Does anyone have a clue who did the petit with the cheese and thyme?
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I saw the post about that on The Potable Curmudgeon a while back, and I've been meaning to ask you how much it costs. Thanks for the reminder.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
Next