Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Dining for Dan: A benefit for the Danny Boyle memorial fund

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm

In the three months since the sad and sudden death of Danny Boyle, a good friend to the Louisville dining community, there's been a tremendous outpouring of support for his family from regional chefs, servers, providers, and just about everyone in any way connected with local food and drink.

Now Food & Dining Magazine, many area chefs and others in the city's dining community will gather to celebrate the life of one of the city's most enthusiastic advocates of the local food scene, and you're invited to join in.

"Dan really loved Louisville's culinary community on every level," said John White, editor of Food and Dining Magazine. "I truly believe a night with amazing food is the most appropriate way to celebrate his life."

Ten top Louisville chefs will collaborate to present "Dining for Dan," a world-class nine-course dinner at Corbett's "An American Place" on Sunday, March 9, 2008. Nine of the chefs will each prepare one course, with Corbett's Chef Dean Corbett coordinating; many of the courses will be paired with top-tier wines.

Admission is $150 a person, all-inclusive. Seating is strictly limited to 140 seats, and they will go fast, so don't delay: Call (502) 327-5058 for reservations.

There'll also be a silent auction with a remarkable range of items and services available for bidding, including a week's use of a house in Mexico, a long list of show tickets, many restaurant gift certificates
and a long list of collectible wines including a case of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild wine and other rare wines, some in oversize bottles.

All proceeds will benefit Daniel's wife Sara and their two sons through the Daniel F. Boyle Memorial Fund established in his memory.

In addition to Corbett, participating chefs include John Castro, Winston's; Michael Crouch, Bourbon's Bistro; Jay Denham, Park Place and Browning's; Chris Howerton, Corbett's "An American Place;" Anthony Lamas, Seviche a Latin Restaurant/Bistro; Fernando Martinez, Havana Rumba and Mojito Tapas Restaurant; Todd Richards, The Oakroom; Allan Rosenberg, Seviche a Latin Bistro, and Anoosh Shariat of the soon-to-open Shariat's Bistro.

Again, admission is $150 a person, all-inclusive. Seating is strictly limited to 140 seats, and they will go fast, so don't delay: Call (502) 327-5058 for reservations.

That's Sunday, March 9, 2008, at Corbett's "An American Place," 5050 Norton Healthcare Blvd. Cocktails begin at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m.

If you are unable to attend "Dining for Dan" but would like to offer support, contact any Stock Yards Bank to contribute to the Daniel F. Boyle Memorial Fund.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Plenty of volunteers still needed!

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:00 pm

If you would like to attend this event - and with a hall of fame group of chefs like this all working in the same kitchen, I think it's safe to say that it will be one of the most memorable dining experiences ever in Louisville - don't waste time. A news release will go out shortly, and many restaurants will be promoting the event with posters, so the 140 seats will go fast.

Also, there's still plenty of room for volunteers, particularly in three areas:

1. Experienced servers who would like join the cadres of servers already signed on to contribute services for the March 9 dinner.

2. Donations of collectible or luxury goods or services for the silent auction.

3. Helping pick up silent auction donations and bring them to Corbett's for the event.

If you'd like to help in these or other areas, please contact me ASAP by PM or Email to rgarr@louisvillehotbytes.com
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

Boombozz

by Tony P. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 pm

Boombozz will donate "Free pizza for a year" for the auction. Please forward info of how to get the certificates to you.

Tony
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Boombozz

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Tony P. wrote:Boombozz will donate "Free pizza for a year" for the auction. Please forward info of how to get the certificates to you.

Tony, thanks! That's a great contribution ... I'll take care of passing the info along, and the organizers should get you on a list where they'll call and make an appointment to pick up any donation from you.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

Re: Dining for Dan: A benefit for the Danny Boyle memorial fund

by David Lange » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm kicking this topic to the top because I really feel that this is a very worthy benefit for the family of a truly great individual. I see pages and pages filled with hundreds of comments regarding smoking and non-smoking issues, and if a 4-star restaurant should have that rating if they don't have the right beer list. But where else can you enjoy a 9 course dinner prepared by some of the best culinary talent in Louisville and the money go to the family of someone who truly had the passion of Louisville's dining scene in his heart.

I had the privilige of knowing and working with Dan Boyle for several years and it was a tragic moment when I heard of his demise. I applaud all of those who are making this tribute dinner possible and I challenge all forumite members to make this as successful as possible. So all members who frequent this forum, show your appreciation for Dan's work and the generosity of the nine chefs who are donating their time and effort to this worthy cause.

Instead of spreading your wordsmith expertise this week, why not spend that energy on supporting this worthy cause. So if you have more than 50 comments on your resume, you need to be at Corbett's on March 9th.

Hope to see you there.
Last edited by David Lange on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Robin,

We can’t afford to do the dinner right now, but we’d love to make a contribution to the silent auction. I can pull together a nice basket of gourmet foods if you think that would be well-received.

DEb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:22 pm

David Lange wrote:I'm kicking this topic to the top because I really feel that this is a very worthy benefit for the family of a truly great individual.

David, I'll agree in part: Without granting that any conversation here is wasted, I certainly agree with all you say about Dan and about the imporrtance of his benefit event.

Accordingly, I'm going to make an exception to my usual practice of not "pinning" posts to the top of the forum, and will stick this one to the top for at least a few days until we see how the reservations are going.

It's worth it, folks. Even if you weren't supporting a very good cause, this one would be worth the toll for the food and fun alone, not even mentioning the amazing premiums in the silent auction.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Deb Hall wrote: we’d love to make a contribution to the silent auction. I can pull together a nice basket of gourmet foods if you think that would be well-received.

That's very kind of you, Deb! Shoot me an Email or PM and I'll make sure the organizers get it from you and can arrange to pick it up at the appropriate time.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm

I wanted to add to David's thoughts. Please realize how much even a small donation means to Danny's family, even if you aren't going to the dinner. I have seen a "sneak peak" of the menu, and it will be beyond amazing food. Hope to see lots of other forumites at the event.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

by David Lange » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 pm

I was wondering how many of the forumites are planning on supporting this great event? An 8 course dinner with 5 wine courses, plus an auction of some really great offerings. Curious to see how many of the regular posters were coming?
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:53 pm

David Lange wrote:I was wondering how many of the forumites are planning on supporting this great event? An 8 course dinner with 5 wine courses, plus an auction of some really great offerings. Curious to see how many of the regular posters were coming?

Mary and I will be there, looking forward to a memorable event. I'm also donating a couple of special bottles of wine for the silent auction.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:06 pm

David, I will be there-- and bring at least one person to sit w/ me since Anoosh is doing a salad course. Look forward to a great night helping a family in need.

Paula
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:36 pm

We have made reservations and plan to attend. The restaurant industry/foodies in this community never cease to amaze me with their generosity and support . It sounds like a fabulous evening and we look forward to being a part of this event celebrating Dan and his family.
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Hey forumites!

I'd really love to go, but hubby will be out of town on business. If there are tickets left, are their any forumites who would accept a "third wheel" tagalong? PM me or post to this board....

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Melissa,
After several unsuccessful attempts to "PM" you the last few days, I just decided to post. My "PMs"appear to be somewhere in cyberspace!!! Bob and I are going to the Benefit by ourselves and would love for to join us if you haven't already made plans. Sounds like a great evening for a great cause.
Carol Carnighan
Next